Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Switch to Real Food

So last week I started being able to chew my food to a certain extent. The transition is supposed to be a slow one, which hasn't exactly been easy. Personally I want to ditch the purees and celebrate, but I also don't want to make myself sick.

So my current restrictions still are:
--No raw veggies at all, only cooked
--No fruit with skins or seeds
--No rice
--No red meat (for a year)
--No bread (for a year)
--Avoid high fat/high sugar foods
--Avoid caffeine and alcohol

I know to many this may seem like a very restrictive list but it feels to me like I opened a Pandora's box of awesome choices! Pasta, cooked veggies....UNPUREED meats!

One of my favorite meals so far has been 3oz of Tuna Helper with some sautéed mushrooms. Since I eat such small amounts, it's nice when I can get several different textures and flavors in my little bowl. A little tuna, a little pasta, a little veg.

On a bariatric foodie blog that was recommended to me, she explores that concept by making 'bites' in mini cupcake pans so there are many flavors like a real meal. Pizza bites, Greek bites, breakfast bites. I really want to try this idea soon.

The hard part about transitioning to food has of course been temptation. I would say I have been doing pretty well. But I'm not going to lie...not perfectly. I may have snuck a couple of my kids Cheetos or a couple of ounces of wine.

But, honestly, I don't feel too  bad about it. The major reason for having the surgery was so I could DO that, while operating within a very forced parameter of self control. The good news is that the weight keeps coming off, so I must not be sabotaging myself too much. 

I hear that Mamaw is making a baked chicken for Sunday dinner tonight, and man am I excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment