Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2013

A First for Everything, Like Instant Potatoes

My meals for the next two weeks following surgery are pretty limited. I can have stage 1 baby foods (meaning no chunks), applesauce, things like cream of wheat and baby oatmeal, cottage cheese, refried beans and strained cream soups. And my favorite thing, mashed potatoes!

At the hospital the nurse taught me a trick with using 1 oz of mashed potato and 1 oz of strained cream of chicken soup so it felt and tasted like gravy. So far it has been my most favorite concoction. All of my chewable vitamins and protein drinks are sweet flavors, so I'm finding myself really looking forward to those nice salty, savory options.

Well, we all know that mashed potatoes don't keep very well in the fridge, and boiling 1/4 of a potato to make myself dinner doesn't exactly make sense. So I talked my husband into buying me some of these bad boys...

It should be noted that my husband is a bit of a foodie and chef wannabe. He's all excited about making me special recipes when my options open up a bit. He's generally not a fan of any kind of boxed or prepared food, and these have never been in our house before. For a long time he was even against the delicious boxed mac and cheese, but having small kids at home has allowed that one to slip in the door. So boxed potatoes are NOT his thing.

It's funny because as much as a food snob as he is, he always finds room for a Doritos Locos Taco.

Of course he didn't give me a hard time about my potatoes....much. I think once he saw me spinning around, hugging and singing to the box he let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment